Earth day is something that comes around each April 22nd, and I feel like no one knows what to do, except yell 'It's Earth Day!' Lets not be dramatic.
Earth day was first founded by United States Senator Gaylord Nelson. A separate earth day was organised and launched by Denis Hayes in 1970. In 1990 it was made international and events were organised in 141 different nations. Many communities celebrate Earth Week, which focuses on numerous environmental issues for the entire week.
Lets get down to the nitty gritty, what can YOU do for Earth Day?
Here's a list of things you can do to celebrate earth day, and some are cash free, score!
1. Plant a tree! Plant some flowers! Or just take care of the ones you already have.
2. Make a flower crown out of the flowers that have surely fallen from all this wind we have been having. Stressing the all.ready.fallen. part- it's earth day, don't go picking all the flowers.
3. Teach your children a bit about Earth Day, why we celebrate it, and how they can help. Start the conversation!
4. Make an Earth with your kids from reclaimed materials you find around the house. Earth really not their thing? They can make flowers, leaves and trees as well. Hang them in their room when they are done!
5. Help a local park to clean up the rubbish.
6. Pick up sticks around the lawn, or even your neighbours lawn!
7. Turn off the lights and electronics you are not using around the house. This is not a huge thing, but its saving every, which is saving the earth right?
8. Wear a t-shirt with the Earth on it. Don't have one? Neither do I. Just wear green and blue I guess?
9. Use loads of 'nature' emojis. You know, all those different kinds of leaves they have, and three separate earths, just in case you would like to be very specific about which earth you identify with.
10. Get out in nature. Take a walk with your children, parents, dogs, or just by yourself. Appreciate the green of spring and thank the gods that winter is over!
Can you think of any other ideas to help celebrate earth day? Add them in the comments below!
Happy Earth Day!
I'm Tory, the creator behind The Barmy Fox. My current loves